gpr-forum.com

Forum dedicated to Ground Penetrating Radar technology
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GPR and Soil Surveys
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:52 pm 

Hello,
I mostly find pipes and USTs with my GPR. I'm working to graduate to more intricate studies. Recently, I joined a colleague who is a soil scientist on one of his projects. He was digging large test pits (2 ft wide X 8 ft deep X 14 ft long) and profiling the soil horizons. He allowed me to collect GPR data next the trench and compare notes. He found soil horizon changes at: 0-4 inches (grass/topsoil), 4-36 inches (loam), 36-56 inches (alluvial - large gravel), and 56-60+ (clay-residuum). My GPR data also revealed the soil changes at 4 inches and at 36 inches, but not the alluvial or clay deposits.

Where do I start to learn how to process data to detect all changes in soil? Can anyone suggest literature or white papers as an introduction?

Best,
CHD

Post subject: Re: GPR and Soil Surveys
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:19 pm 

Dear CHD,
I hope that the following questions would lead you in investigating the approaches:

What is the frequency of the antenna being used? = Do you have enough resolution to "see" each of the layer contacts?
What range (and other) settings are you using? = Do you have the unit set to go as deep as you need to reach the deeper layers?
Are there any indications of increased conductivity in the top layers? = Does the signal "survive" to reach deep enough?

Best regards,

Post subject: Re: GPR and Soil Surveys
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 pm 

Danne,
Thanks again. I have some research to do, to be able to answer those questions. I will revisit this in the future.
Take Care,
Chris